Connecticut's Largest Provider of Legal Services
for Financial Problems Since 1983
Taxpayer Rights and Defenses in Connecticut
As a taxpayer, you have significant rights and legal protections. The attorneys at The Law Offices of Neil Crane, LLC, can help you protect those rights. Whether you have tax concerns with the IRS, a state tax authority or a local tax office, we can act as your taxpayer rights advocate.We have the experience and knowledge to work diligently to resolve your issues as efficiently and effectively as possible under all available laws.
Know Your Rights
When you work with our firm, we will clearly explain your rights and legal options at every stage of your case. This includes:
- Right to representation: You have the right to have representation before the tax authority. As attorneys with extensive experience handling debt issues at the federal, state and local level, we know the impact your debt can have on your life. We will work to minimize the impact of your tax debt through every available means.
- Right to privacy: Your tax and financial information is private and confidential. We can help you make sure it stays that way.
- Right to appeal: If your tax debt is in error or you feel your rights have been violated at any stage, you have the right to appeal your case. There are numerous levels of appeal available. We can explain your appellate options and represent you through careful preparation and strong legal advocacy.
- Right to correct taxes: You are only required to pay the amount you truly owe under the law. No more, no less. Our attorneys often work with professionals, including CPAs, in order to determine the precise and correct amount of taxes our clients' owe. That way our clients are charged only what they owe.
- Right to tax debt relief: You may not be able to pay all of your tax debt or be able to pay it all right now. If this is the case, you may be able to secure an installment agreement or offer in compromise. If your tax debt is the result of a good faith error, you may also be able to avoid paying penalties through a penalty abatement. We also understand all of the very strong bankruptcy alternatives available to reduce or eliminate your tax debt.
Defenses Available to Taxpayers
If you have received notice of unpaid taxes or a collection action, there are numerous defenses available to you. Some of the more common defenses include:
- Innocent spouse: If you filed jointly and had no knowledge of your spouse's error in filing taxes, you may be entitled to relief.
- Currently non-collectible: If you owe taxes but are unable to pay them due to a lack of income, we may be able to qualify you for currently non-collectible status. This will prevent all collections actions, liens or levies.
- Installment agreements: Under this statutory protection, you have the right to obtain an installment agreement for past due taxes.
Contact Our Connecticut Tax Relief Lawyers
To discuss your taxpayer rights and defenses with an experienced attorney, turn to our firm. From our offices in Hamden, Bridgeport, Ridgefield, Waterbury and Rocky Hill, Connecticut, we act as advocates for taxpayers nationwide. Contact our law firm online, or call us at 203-230-2233 or toll free at 888-249-3027 for a free initial consultation.
Se habla español.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code.